Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No instructions. Just love.


Blame it all on capitalism. 
It has managed to interfere in one sphere of human relationships that I believed it could never interfere. It has transformed the concept of love.
We choose a prospective candidate on the market, we sign the relationship contract and pay a certain arbitrarily set price for it. What do we get from it? An unfinished product that requires a lot of care. And, of course, as every other product it has an expiration date. It is either used up too quickly, or is too fragile that it breaks quickly. To rationalize the fact that we are paying for that kind of uncertainty, we cautiously handle the situation. Professionally, with little or no emotion. 
Relationships nowadays require a manual. Instructions with all of the DOs and DON'Ts. Instructions saying what you are supposed and what you are not supposed to do.

You are not supposed to call him more than once daily. Do not express your emotions.
Do not show jealousy at any cost, he'll think you're a psycho.  Do not call him before he texts you in the morning. " I miss you" notes are strictly forbidden. Keep him at unease. Make sure that he never knows what you are about to do next. Stay untouchable. 
...
I guess playing love games just isn't my thing. It is not that I am not able to play them. Anybody can play them. However, if I start playing them, they just become GAMES with no LOVE. Should we lose love at the cost of playing the game?
Who are we playing for? Who are we playing against?

By playing games, have we managed to lose LOVE? Or have we transformed into something that I no longer recognize as love?  In basketball, many of my coaches insisted on defense as a crucial instance of our game. If love is a game, like basketball, does that mean that our guard needs to always be on set? Love used to be one sphere for me in which I can be vulnerable. In the time when fragility and sensitiveness are not to be used in relationships, when can we let our guards down? When will the constant game one-on-one be over? 

Does dropping the ball end the game or a relationship? 

I find this crap exhausting. Unbearable. As I have said, games aren't really my thing.
Call me silly but I will stick to the construct of love that I already have. 
Unconditional, breathtakingly intense, creatively silly, unbelievably inspiring, authentically beautiful...
I am not giving up on it. Neither should you.

Write your own story. With no manuals. With your heart.


4 comments:

  1. WOW...this blog is all sorts of amazing!! I am offically a fan. May I become your newest follower??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you so much! :) I am glad you're enjoying it :D It would be my pleasure if you do become my newest follower :D :)))

      Delete
    2. Then I will become your newest follower!! Feel free to follow mine as well :)

      ~Keith

      Delete